Sunday, December 5, 2010

My Addiction

I have a problem.
A big one.
I love Christmas music.
I couldn't help but start listening to it the minute the first snowflake fell here in Rexburg. I think that was about two weeks before Thanksgiving...
Truth be told, I sneak Christmas music into my listening throughout the year. Don't tell.

There is just something about Christmas music that instantly brings me a feeling of joy. I recall reading the Christmas story with my family every Christmas Eve, shopping for presents for my friends or families, the Christmas my siblings and I all got sleds and headed out to the sledding hill as soon as all the presents were open, or Christmas mornings with my siblings where the clock seemed to be stuck on 6:59 a.m. for two hours (we weren't allowed to do presents until 7.)

Music is a big part of my life. It has been for very long time and I have this habit of associating memories with songs. Whenever I hear the hymn "Love at Home" I always think of my mom singing it when my siblings and I would either scream at or try to beat on each other . Or, when I hear anything by Bad Company I always think of the jam sessions I had during the opening shift at Wendys with my manager and my coworker at seven in the morning. My thing with Christmas music is that it can range from Frank Sinatra singing "Baby it's Cold Outside" to Whams "Last Christmas" to the hymn "With Wandering Awe" and all my Christmas memories surface and send me into Christmas euphoria. I love it. LOVE IT.

I think the main thing I love about Christmas is my family. My family is the best. THE BEST. I am thoroughly convinced that if every person had a family like mine, world peace would be obtainable (well...maybe worldwide love lol.) Anyways, enough bragging. My family has a lot of Christmas traditions. Every Christmas Eve we invite the missionaries over for dinner and to participate in the world-renowned Holyoak Christmas program to sing, read the Christmas story, watch the LDS short film Joy To The World or Mr. Krueger's Christmas, each open one present (yes of course we have awesome presents for the missionaries too), then head downstairs for some sweet pool action or a ping-pong tournament. We end the night by piling all the kids in the basement. In the olden days (before Aubrey had to go get married to Kenny, whom we all love) we would all pile into Aubrey's bed and stay up late listening for Santa then wake up super early and stare at the clock until 7 o'clock would come around so we could go open presents. Now us unmarried siblings pile into my room and generally pass out on my bed and wake up right on time (or a little after hehe) to open presents. I love it. After that we all head upstairs to search for the pickle ornament (whoever finds it gets a extra present. Bonus.) Then we spend all of Christmas day loafing and watching movies and eating delicious food...or candy. Whatever works.

Writing this is making me homesick. And I was just home last week. Wow.

I can't believe I just told you all my life story of Christmas (well actually not ALL of it, because I probably have a million more things I could say...) but that just proves my point. THIS is what Christmas music does to me. I flashback EVERY time! I think that is why I love it so much. I wish it could be Christmastime ALL THE TIME. Maybe that will be one of my New Year's Resolutions! To keep the feeling of love I get around Christmas with me throughout the year.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. Let's do it again in 17 days, 23 hours, and 13 minutes.

    ReplyDelete