Thursday, December 23, 2010

Charles DeLee Pennington, my hero

I miss him already.
Today I said goodbye to my wonderful Papa, Charles DeLee Pennington.
Tomorrow he will return to Heavenly Father.
Charles DeLee Pennington has been known by many names. Yesterday, I learned my grandma first knew him as "Chuckypoo," the handsome air force stud that all the girls lined up to kiss. My mom and her siblings knew him as Dad, the always smiling, happy-go-lucky guy that loved them all so much. Some people knew him as a handy-man, always willing to put in ceiling fans or electrical outlets, Brother Pennington, a silly man from the ward, or a McDonalds manager, keeping the work environment enjoyable and spoiling his kids with happy meals.

I know him as Papa.
Everyone should be jealous of me and my cousins. We have had the best Papa any grandkids could ever have.
My Papa has a bald head. We always teased him about his bald head. I don't think I can count the number of times I kissed him on top of that head or asked him "Papa, do you use soap or shampoo?" He wore a cowboy hat and a southern drawl, and wore them well-- A Texas boy all the way through. My papa would make friends with anybody and everybody. Some of my fondest memories of Papa's visits set me at Home Depot, playing in the doors and with the faucets while Papa picked up stuff for a new project. I remember when he installed ceiling fans in almost every room of our house.
Usually when we'd go on these trips, we'd stop and McDonalds on the way home and pick up a Happy Meal.
I remember one time Papa decided to take Aubrey and I to the movies for a day. We went to three movies in a row, all at the movie theater. I can't remember what time we started, but can remember falling asleep during the midnight premiere of the movie Dodgeball.
I remember Papa and Grandma had a jar of coins in their Cedar City House and we would always have to ask Papa for a coin if we wanted candy from the gumball machine.
I also remember when Papa redid the backyard and put in a swingset for us grandkids.
My most recent memory of Papa was made this week. I had the chance to spend all of this week with Papa in the hospital. My Papa is a flirt. He loves to make people laugh. This week he told all of us how pretty the nurses at the hospital were and how he already had proposed to four of them!
Today I said goodbye to my Papa. I told him how much I loved him, hugged him and held his hand, and planted one final kiss on top of his head. I am so grateful for the opportunity I have had to have Charles DeLee Pennington in my life as my grandpa. I will always cherish the memories I have of him and be grateful for the wonderful example he has set for me of living the gospel and loving everyone around him. I am so grateful for the gospel and for the knowledge that I will get to see him again. I am thankful to know that Papa will be greeted by his family on the other side when he passes.
Papa, I love you.

4 comments:

  1. He sound's like an amazing man. The world will miss him dearly. I am so sorry for your loss Lace <3 Thank goodness for the plan of Salvation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love and miss him too! What a blessing to have so many good memories to hold on to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lace, this was awesome to read. He lives on in ALL of those memories, what a lucky granddaughter! Love you lots *smooch*

    ReplyDelete