Saturday, October 23, 2010

GUM!

Tonight was the "adult" session of BYU-Idaho's 3rd Stake's Conference. I decided to go this semester and I am so happy I went. This is the first time I have actually attended the Saturday night session of Stake Conference and it was wonderful.

Anyways, I am sitting listening to the speaker and decide a piece of gum sounds REAL nice.
So I whip one out.

Orbitz.

Light Green.

Sweet Mint.

Delicious.

Then I turn and offer a piece to my roommate Jess. I am just about to put said piece of sweet mint goodness in my mouth and a thought occurred to me:

Why does gum have that weird zig-zag pattern?!
You know, the one that looks kinda like the tread on a tire??

I turned and asked Jess my mind-blowing question and she said it was so it was easier to cut the gum on the expensive gum-making equipment with the tread, so the gum would not get stuck to the cutter thing....if that makes sense. (Jess has been here for over four years now. She is basically a genius). I hope that makes sense!! If not you can call me and I will explain it to you. (Or at least hand the phone to Jess for HER to explain.)
This is her and I. In matching shirts we bought at DI last semester for our white glove. Yeah, we are awesome.

Anyways, I am Google-ing this question as we speak and Google has no answers. All I have learned so far is that the gum company Wrigleys made coffee flavored gum at one point and that long before I was born, people used to chew on tree pieces to make their breath smell good. Gross.

Google is being worthless. I will just believe Jess and let you know if I learn anything different about why gum is patterned.
Don't be too disappointed, everything will be okay :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you went to conference too. Sounds really enlightening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orbit Sweet Mint is my gum of choice. We should be friends or something.

    ReplyDelete